Would you let a cow breast-feed your baby?
My answer to this articles question (actual question in regards to cross feeding) is yes. My answer is no to letting a cow BF my baby lol. I would nurse another woman's baby. I would let another woman nurse my baby (I personally would draw the line with people I truly knew). Yes, I would feed my child donor milk before formula feeding. Yes, breast really is best.
And much like Kate Garraway, I too have undergone a transformation of opinion. It's enlightening to know we can change. That we can parent differently. That we can parent to the best of our ability and with the knowledge we currently have at any given time. That is a miracle to me.
I love change.
Tuesday, September 23, 2008
Thought provoking article
Posted by Ghan Family at 9:09 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
That's a great article, thanks for sharing. What a positive attitude that you like change. I struggle with change.
I do have to say that the article is thought-provoking. However, I also think it's absolutely easy for someone like her who CAN breastfeed to judge those of us who can't. I'm not opposed to feeding my baby someone else's breast milk, but only if it were a person I knew well enough to know their diet and health. Breast isn't best if the person isn't nutritionally taking care of themselves or putting things into their system that shouldn't be there. And buying breast milk isn't an option for those of us struggling paycheck to paycheck, let alone whether or not I would actually trust it.
I've actually had people say to me that anyone can breastfeed, but it's not true. Where did the term wetnurse come from if that were the case? I've tried with all three babies and have yet to produce enough milk to keep any of them alive. (Believe me -- when more than 10 lactation consultants have said that you're doing everything right, and yet all you can pump after 30 minutes is three drops, it's just not possible!)
This doesn't mean I won't try again (I will), but I'm not going to let people make me feel guilty if I CAN'T do what my body was "made to do." This is like insulting people who adopt because their bodies can't make babies.
Just two cents from someone on the other side -- not that I think formula is best, but on a scale of 1-10 where breast is 10, I believe formula is a 9.
Post a Comment