Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Congrats Derrick and Briana!!!!

First off, sorry for being a slacker in the blogging world the past 2 days. Seriously, I've barely had time to sit down . . .

Yesterday, Gabe had an outpatient burn clinic appointment. I am very very happy to say he is doing STELLAR!!! The therapists are pleased with his progress, and while his scars are still thick in some parts, we have all been assured that time will allow nature to take her course in flattening the scars. They will never been completely gone, but will be far far less noticeable. He will need another surgery in a few years to correct his toe. The way/placement of the graft has caused his pinky toe to pull outwards. There is absolutely nothing we can do to correct it because the distance is so small and his sensitive skin cannot tolerate adhesive tape 24/7. So, in a few years, the skin will be snipped so the toe isn't pulled out of joint, inevitably causing other problems. From my understanding, it is a very simple, outpatient surgery. But other than that, we are in the clear!!! He doesn't need to go back until January :)

While in SLC, I arranged with my good friend, Derrick, to meet up for lunch and to meet his fiance, Briana!! I met Derrick almost immediately after moving to Cedar City 5 1/2 years ago (I too cannot believe it's been that long ;) ). He took on the role of big brother and we've been great friends ever since. I have always appreciated his friendship, his kindness, and his awesome personality. He is incredibly intelligent and is applying to medical school - so excited for him!! And I've always known whoever gets to marry Derrick will be one lucky girl! I was just hoping Derrick would be equally lucky if you all know what I mean lol.

I was super excited to meet Briana yesterday. And you know what? He IS getting lucky - she is an amazing girl!!!! She's so cute and incredibly (!!!!) sweet! She was super fun with the kids, as was Derrick. I grabbed a few pictures . . . but they were at the end of a 3 1/2 hour Gateway mall excursion. My kids were beasts. And Emily was ticked (!) we were leaving. I think she liked Der lol. Needless to say, the pictures aren't awesome, but you all must agree Derrick and Briana make a beautiful couple!
Derrick did ask if I was planning to be in the pictures . . . I forgot my non-existent tripod lol. No really, I do need to be better about that!!

Yes, I am the mother who takes pictures of her screaming child. Poor Der!!

They are getting married Saturday morning in the St George Temple . . . maybe by some miracle we will be able to make it down for the wedding. Sigh.

Hoping your day is as magical as you both hope it will be. Thank you so much for being a part of my life Derrick. You've been such a blessing to Josh and I.

2 comments:

The Andra Family said...

Derrick looks a little different than I remember 5 years ago, like we all do I guess. His fiance is sooo cute.

Josh and Nikki said...

she is so cute, and derrik looks TALL! :) lol. i love that he found someone like her. are you really coming down? i know cole is down here, but you could visit a few of us, eh? tempting to drive with 3 kids a couple hours...i don't know if i'd do it either... let me know if your miracle happens. :)