Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Because I knew you, I have been changed for good

Going back to my creepy-if-you-don't-know-me Wicked love (okay, obsession, whatever you want to call it), I just wanted to talk for a few minutes today about friendships. Well, one in particular for me. I'll do my best to keep this nameless as I hate putting people on the spot - or at least on the spot when it creates big elephants in small rooms ;)

Anyways, there's this Wicked song entitled "For Good". Really, y'all should YouTube it up. It's a great song. But if you don't (because you probably won't lol), I'll give y'all a brief synopsis. At the end of the musical, 2 girls from very opposite life situations realize how good of friends they've become, but how impossible it will be to remain friends (this won't ever happen to me and the friend I'm going to tell y'all about, but the lyics still rock).

I've heard it said
That people come into our lives for a reason
Bringing something we must learn
And we are led
To those who help us most to grow
If we let them
And we help them in return
Well, I don't know if I believe that's true
But I know I'm who I am today
Because I knew you...

It well may be
That we will never meet again
In this lifetime
So let me say before we part
So much of me
Is made of what I learned from you
You'll be with me
Like a handprint on my heart
And now whatever way our stories end
I know you have re-written mine
By being my friend...

Because I knew you...
I have been changed for good...

I have this friend who has been my friend for years. Truly, years and years. She's amazing. Like even writing this, I'm tearing up. Call me dorky, or what you will, but this woman has been my rock for the past 7+ years. She has held me up and supported me when I couldn't or wouldn't do it myself. She's been a perfect example of real motherhood. And an amazing model of being a balanced wife. She is inspiring in her devotion to the Lord, her ward, and her extended (!!!!!) family. She is the least self-serving person I know without over-burdening herself (however, I know she has done it, but she still knows her limits). She's honest - truly an honest person. I could keep going, but that might be boring given you don't know who I'm talking about lol.

And truly, because I've known her, I have been changed for good. And thank you for that.

Oh and yes, I know it's a goodbye song . . . but man, the lyrics are still applicable. Or maybe they just are to me because whenever I hear the song I'm so grateful for the friendship I have with said awesome lady.

Can I say one more thing? I think Idina Menzel is the most talented actress on the planet.

And it's time to stop. Have a great evening - I'll have pictures for y'all tomorrow!!!

Oh, one PS. The PW pinto beans and cornbread wasn't that great *cry* First time I've made a recipe of hers I haven't loved. I'm freezing the beans to use for soups/etc . . . but both Josh and I could only take a few bites. Bummer dude.

3 comments:

The Andra Family said...

OK, so that made me tear up, and I don't even know who you're talking about. Whomever it is, you are too kind. I'd just be willing to bet my first born child, that her life would not be the same without you, and that you provide the same type of friendship, loyalty, stability and trust to her as you proclaim she does to you.
Love ya girl!

Josh and Nikki said...

aren't we all so grateful for people like that? i'd say some of those characteristics fit into what I think of you, so thanks to her for being there for you so i have you that i can look up to. :)

Josh and Nikki said...

after i read that, it seemed really confusing - hope you got what i meant! lol. love ya!