Tuesday, August 12, 2008
The Olympics
It is Olympics time . . . and honestly, I'm really just not a fan this year. I have long believed in the cause of the Tibetans, and the fact the world is sitting by and doing nothing . . . heck, even encouraging the behavior of the Chinese by financially supporting the country (tourism, etc through the Olympics) is slightly sickening. I mean really . . . can we say Berlin 1936?! Just like China right now is at the beginning of (dare I say it?) it's genocidal attempts, Germany and the ruling Nazi party was also at the beginning of their genocidal reign. It's sickening we are sending our athletes the SECOND time to a country so clear on their purpose . . . yuck. Please, someone tell me I'm not alone in feeling upset over this. Or really, does everyone just not pay attention to the politics in attempt to just enjoy something so fundamentally wonderful as the Olympics . . . something we can feel a strong national pull to?
*Editing to add: How could I forget the 1980 Olympics?? At least people took action then . . .*
Most of you know I'm definitely not Ms. Patriot (and gosh, those of you who knew me 5+ years ago, really know how far I've come in my patriotism . . . I'm sure marrying a soldier didn't hurt that lol), but I will say, the Olympics usually stir some semblance of national pride in me. And as much as I was planning on NOT watching the Olympics at all this year, I did flip on the TV Sunday night, only to see the amazing 4x100 meter freestyle men's relay swim. Really, anyone else watch that? Truly, were you not proud at that moment? Was it not strangely satisfying to see the trash talker Alain Bernard beaten (I have nothing against the French lol, but man, it was entertaining to see the supremely confident swimmer/team being beaten)? Ack!! And I want to keep watching, but I don't at the same time; I just can't seem to get very excited over them *cry*!
Joey Cheek anyone? A well recognized athlete denied entrance to Beijing after previously obtaining a Visa? All for being a known Darfur rights activist? If men like Cheek won't speak up for the Sudanese, who the heck else will? So while the US (and other countries) may not want to recognize politics and the atrocities of the Chinese government, China is certainly recognizing and attempting to stifle any righteous protesting. Yuck.
All of this has left such a terrible taste in my mouth. And really, I'm just bummed out about the whole thing because I just want to watch the Olympics and feel my once every 2 year surge of nationalistic pride. Really, and that opportunity is being robbed because I just cannot reconcile my disgust of people being robbed of basic justice and rights with that temporary excitement.
So raise your hand if you think I'm off my rocker ;) No really, I'd love to hear your opinions!!
*The above graphics were obviously NOT created by myself. I found them here. I find them fascinatingly awesome. And the blog is awesome as well. Really, pictures ARE worth a thousand words!*
Posted by Ghan Family at 2:21 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



5 comments:
So I don't think you're crazy to be upset about Beijing, and their crappy crap for crap that they do. On the flip side, think, if you were a female gymnast that had devoted your entire life to compete at the olympics (and lots of times gymnasts can only do one because their bodies break down), wouldn't you feel somewhat inclined to not make waves so that you could fulfill your life dream? I know, it sounds sick that people can't stand up for what's right, but I guess that's just the flip side and why the Olympics are still a big deal.
Definitely a good and very valid point Christine. I think I'm more bothered by the IOC than anything/anyone else kwim? And I do unerstand the point completely . . . I just think it's lame the world stands by in the name of athletics. I mean really, many people die so that several can have one song glory? I have a hard time jiving with that. But YAY thank you for commenting!!!
um, Translation please? J/K
I figured if you commented on my blog I could comment on yours.
I see what you mean and it is pretty hypocritical for the IOC to have ever let the games go to Beijing knowing what goes on there when the camera's aren't around or when they think they aren't. I had the opportunity recently to travel to China and it was quite an experience. I would dare say that a large portion of Chinese are brain washed by their government. I never once heard people's opinions on anything. I am hoping that the Olympics will open the people's eyes to see what kind of success and happiness one can achieve by going with the world and playing by the rules instead of making up your own.
I read about your trip. Sounded awesome! And you're right . . . allowing a people to see what they can have is empowering (I have seen that first hand). And I too hope opening the country up for the Olympics will have that affect on the Chinese people. I think that is a huge part of what the Olympics ARE. They are about seeing the (or maybe just an) alternative.
But I still don't think we are being responsible citizens. I still believe we are sitting by doing nothing. Just like we do anytime stuff isn't convenient or there isn't a direct benefit. And I read on your blog how easy it is to sit and spew stuff out when it isn't me (or you or whomever) dealing with the consequences. But doesn't it start with us?
Anyways, thanks for stopping by :D
Post a Comment