Saturday, October 4, 2008

Why Palin?

With a month away until the election, I've just gotta ask. Why do you who like Palin, like her? I hear a lot of the following reasons:

  • She's new!
  • She's a woman!
  • Obama scares me
  • Obama's policies/voting record/etc is pro-choice (insert any issue one disagrees with Obama on)
  • She's very ethical (I guess no one has read about her reign up in Alaska?)
  • She wants change/She is change (the very thing Obama haters loathe Obama supporters saying lol)
  • She's All-American!
  • She's pretty (seriously guys?!)
And the list goes on . . . but none of those things would EVER encourage me to vote for a candidate (well, real ethics would - as in a truly ethical candidate would be encouraging)!! Those aren't real reasons! At least not in my opinion. I'd like to hear real reasons why y'all would be comfortable with her being the President of this country. I don't ask to be oppositional because frankly, I'm writing in at this point. I ask because I'm genuinely curious as to what pull she has on people. Have you Palin supporters/lovers watched the Couric interview (if not, you can catch this clip or this clip or this clip or this clip or . . . get the point lol)? I died of embarrassment FOR Palin!! Truly, I laughed so hard I cried, and then cried some more because she dug a very very deep hole for herself. Sure, with the handicap she went to the debates with, she did rather well. She definitely has the ability to memorize ;)

So while this question may appear obnoxious, it really is not (or if it is, only a little bit). It is no secret I think this lady is crazy. But I would genuinely like to hear WHY people truly truly like her. For more reasons than listed above. Because heck, if I had to choose a president based on their good looks . . . hello Anderson Cooper/Johnny Depp/Channing Tatum/Joe Jonas/the Manning brothers/etc et. al. Seriously. Tell me. I really do want to know.

Oh and a little off topic . . . can McCain/Palin kiss Israel's bum even more? Um, nope, don't think so! One more thing . . . I'm done with the silly personal attacks. Really guys. You're old. Like 72 years old, yes? Obama "palling around with terrorists"?!? Yea. Right. Way to deal with issues that actually concern us instead of making up lame connections. I've heard enough about Obama's secret Muslim-ness to last me a lifetime . . . because that matters so much?!? I cannot stand it.

I'll be relieved when this election is over and we can move on. That is assuming McCain is fighting a battle he's already lost at this point (which it appears he has, thank goodness). I really honestly wasn't "anti-McCain" until he was stupid enough to pick Palin. Gutsy move on his part that I do believe got national attention at first, but once people started seeing through Palin, it has started to hurt his campaign. In a big way.

So for you who have read this mini(?)-rant on my part, I really really would love to hear WHY you like Palin (and McCain if you want to share :) ). I am not intersted in anti-Obama politics though (mostly because I am not planning on voting for him, but also because I think it's lame to vote for McCain ONLY because you dislike Obama).

It's late. I need sleep, but I'd been thinking about this all day and wanted to know if anyone else cares. Oh, and I can provide a long list of *actual* reasons why I do NOT like Palin and why I will NOT be voting for the McCain ticket, especially since she became the other half. That's all I'm asking for - real reasons. Thanks - have a great Sunday - and for my sake, send non sick vibes toward our house!! Love you all :)

10 comments:

TeachinAuntie said...

Hi!
I'm voting for McCain and Palin for several reasons. My number one reason is that a future with Obama as president is terrifying, when I consider the consequences. In my opinion its going to be Obama or McCain and I'll take the lesser of the two evils any day. McCain is not the republican candidate I would have chosen, but he is far better for this country (in my opinion) than Obama.
I am pro-life and anti abortion. I do not believe that there will be any changes in abortion laws if the democrats control the White house, the Senate, and the House. Abortion is probably my #1 "issue". My #2 issue is the war. I do not think Obama truly knows how to handle the war & I believe that McCain will end the war or make strides towards ending it. Removing FUNDING is never the way to end a war, unless you want to kill brothers & sons.
Sarah Palin was the right choice for McCain because 1. she's young & fresh--the repubs. that were voting for Obama for ONLY those reasons can come back to the Repub. ticket with renewed hope b/c of her. 2. She comes from a state that has been interested/active in oil/energy research for a long time. 3. She's "every woman", most woman can relate to her. Having a teenage daughter get pregnant doesn't say anything about her character, it can happen to anyone. (My sister got pregnant at 17 & I still have the greatest respect for my parents & how we were raised.) 4. I think Palin would rise gracefully to the challenge if something happens to McCain. BUT, I don't think he's going anywhere in the next 4 years.

TeachinAuntie said...

BTW I'm TeachinAuntie on Diaperswappers.

Ghan Family said...

So, I'm hearing you're mostly taking Palin along with McCain, but like Palin because she's young and fresh, she's from Alaska and that makes her qualified to deal with our energy crisis, she relates to all women, and she would rise to the challenge of president if the need arises? That says nothing about her policies ;)

To refute, she may be young, but she sure isn't fresh - she's party to the same old republican corruption that this current president is party to (read about her in regards to her govenorship and mayorship). I'm from California, and I'm no expert on gay marriage . . . I don't see why being from Alaska grants her the right to have more knowledge on the energy crisis. She sure as heck isn't like me!! That's embarrassing to relate myself to her - I find her very hickish with her "say it ain't so Joe's" and "us two, we're mavericks dontcha know?" and very arrogant. Not a fan of her personal character. And lastly, I do not believe she could rise to the occasion if McCain were to die in office. She has shown repeatedly she has no grasp on foreign policy (which this presidency DESPERATELY needs). She has shown she doesn't even know how our government works. She takes issue with Roe V Wade because of it's pro-choice sentiment . . . but when asked about privacy, she believes it is of utmost importance. Premise of Roe V Wade anyone? THE RIGHT TO PRIVACY . . . that is why the supreme court became involved in the anti-abortion laws in each individual state, because they violated privacy laws. Just read the court decision. It goes beyond abortion. I am pro-life personally, FTR.

If you are more anti-Obama than pro-McCain, why not write in a candidate? Or are you just pro-McCain and taking Palin along with him? If so, I understand that. I'm just curious as to everyone who gushes about Palin . . . and why. I keep hearing what you have written above, and to me, that's just not a good enough reason to be comfortable with her being the president (especially given the age and horrible health of McCain) . . . at least not in my book. Thank you for responding Stephanie!!!!

Denise said...

Do I dare respond? ;) I believe McCain is the more conservative candidate, and that's "conservative" in the world's eyes, not mine. That alone means he represents more of the values that I believe in, along with many Americans who are sick of liberal law-making. He's more experienced than Obama, and Obama has voted liberally on many, many issues. If you have read the curriculum Obama voted for, it WAS sex ed for kindergarteners. He said it was just to teach them about predators, but if you read the actual curriculum (sorry I don't have a link, but I'm sure you could find it), it teaches about masterbation. To kindergarteners. That's only one example.

I don't think either candidate has the issue of health care solved, and that's an important issue for me. However, I believe McCain really is in this for his country and hasn't been a senator just to rise to president, although that is where it has lead him. I don't think Sarah Palin is the most experienced, but she doesn't bother me in the least bit. She is real. Yes, she isn't an expert on all issues, but what president really is? I mean, what's the point of the cabinet and advisors if the president is a know-it-all? She was well liked by both parties in Alaska. Really if you want to find scary statistics about either candidate, they're out there. I guess that's why it's important to study it out and ponder and pray to feel like we're voting for who we feel would be best to represent our country, even if we don't end up having the same opinion on the matter.

I agree that McCain isn't my first choice, but it will be McCain or Obama, so I see no point in searching out another candidate and "wasting" my vote with a write-in. However, I have no hesitation whatsoever handing the country over to McCain. Really, we should be more concerned about the Congress and House we elect, because THEY're the ones making the laws, and it's sure gone downhill in the past two years we've had a Democratic majority!!! I just got an e-mail about all the numbers comparing then and now, and that's what's scary!

In any case, I will also be VERY glad when it's over. I wish they'd give candidates a month and a set amount of money and leave it at that. As it is, there is just the same ol' stuff out there and TONS of money being wasted that could sure be used by starving kids, education issues, etc., etc., etc.!

TeachinAuntie said...

Hmm..well, I didn't address her policies because I can not honestly say that I am informed enough to have my opinions of them in typeset on the internet! I also have a personal "rule" not to discuss politics with anyone beyond family. I guess a lot of "us" (and I'm not quite sure what I mean there) fall into the "antiObama but not quite proMcCain" bracket. Like I said, it's the lesser of the 2 evils.

My opinion on a write in, is that it's a wasted vote. Every vote FOR one of the candidates COUNTS. Votes "against" them and for some one else, are just washouts in my opinion and I won't waste my vote. (Hmm..and I as I type this I just noticed that Denise feels the same way.)

As for Palin's "hickness" that relates to ME. I am a country girl. She is someone that I could see my daughter looking up to.

Ghan Family said...

Thank you for your responses ladies. Sounds like you are voting for McCain, and will take Palin along with him because that is who is on his ticket - not that you particularly like (or dislike her). That's fine. I was just asking in particular for the people who are in love with Palin . . . why they are. Does that make sense?

I'm always grateful when people take the time to search out and really vote with reason and strength, rather than voting "republican" or "democrat" etc. Thanks for sharing your insights!

The Andra Family said...

I think McCain choosing Palin was strictly a strategic move that people are falling for. I think that pretty much sums it up.

Melissa said...

I'm not a political person by any means. I'm trying really hard to learn all I can and this is the first time I've really taken an interest in how our country's run! I feel like in this election we have to vote for the lesser of 2 evils. You said it's lame to vote for McCain bc we don't like Obama...then what do we do? Not vote and then complain about whoever is nominated? Or write someone in so Obama wins anyway? I know you're very intelligent when it comes to politics and that intimidates me and I'm scared for your reply because I know so little. But, this is my opinion and it is what it is.

Ghan Family said...

Melissa!! Never ever feel like your opinion is not wanted/valid/etc. I know what little I know about politics because I love learning/being involved in them. That's all :)

I think it's lame to vote for McCain because you "just don't like Obama/Obama scares you (whatever the heck that means lol)/etc". If you don't like Obama because of specific POLICIES, I totally respect that. I don't like McCain for very specific policies (and Palin the same), and I would expect that my political opinion be respected. Make sense?

In our lovely state of Utah, it won't matter if you vote Obama or write in a nominee (unless of course our deep deep republican state ALL changes course lol). McCain WILL get this state's electoral votes. Both McCain and Obama have avoided this state because it is sure to vote republican.

I am always sad when people vote on a singular issue (i.e. McCain solely because he is from what we can see "pro-life"). The election/presidency is so much bigger than abortion or gay marriage (2 common deciding factors in Utah). I will admit I struggle religiously in regard to politics sometimes . . . something I'm still working on reconciling ;)

And isn't it sad so many of us feel as though we're voting for the lesser of 2 evils? You're not alone in that thinking and it just makes me sad that so many of us feel that way :( We need a strong statesman that we can all feel is looking out for our best interest.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts Melissa!!!

And Cole - I DO personally believe the same way about Palin . . . it was a good idea initially, but his numbers are dropping rapidly (daily!!) in the polls. People have begun to see through Palin's not so smart exterior ;)

Ghan Family said...

I just wanted to add I do not believe writing in a vote is "throwing a vote away". I don't vote for the winner . . . I vote for whomever I feel would do the best job for president. If that person is Ron Paul or Chuck Baldwin or what have you, I will vote for that person. Does that make sense? I understand WHY people think that writing in is throwing a vote away, but voting for someone I don't like to prevent someone else I don't like to be in office, I just think that's silly.