Tuesday, October 21, 2008

My heart is sad

I just read this article and started bawling.

Sentences that really stood out to me:

..."It is frightening to see at this point the label 'Arab' or 'Muslim' being used de facto as an insult..."

..."Is there something wrong with being a Muslim in this country?" [Colin Powell] asked on NBC's "Meet the Press."

"The answer's no, that's not America. Is there something wrong with some seven-year-old Muslim-American kid believing that he or she could be president? Yet I have heard senior members of my own party drop the suggestion 'he's a Muslim and he might be associated with terrorists.' This is not the way we should be doing it in America," Powell said, while making clear such sentiment was not coming from McCain himself...

Such ridiculous close mindedness. And I wish I could say I haven't heard these sentiments . . . but I have. In arenas I would have never dreamed I would have.

Let's all remember to keep ourselves educated, to seek out the most whole truth available, and to share our knowledge with others best we can.

5 comments:

keli [at] kidnapped by suburbia said...

It seriously makes me want to throw up and cry at the same time. I know that much of our country is still unbelievably close-minded, but I guess I didn't realize to what extent. :(

Brown Family said...

I am shocked sometimes at how far behind we are where I thought we were!

Of course, there is a lot of misunderstanding toward LDS people still, to the point I have been shocked that some people REALLY do believe Mormons have horns. What?!?

There are still huge racism issues in the south. I have been the only white person living/socializing in black areas, and it's an interesting experience ... although not nearly as bad as being with the only black person in white areas.

I have a friend who travels to Iran regularly with her husband (who is Iranian), and I asked her about the people there, and she said they are kind, normal people who actually like America, unlike their government. It's just that most people generalize a leader's perspective to everyone in their country.

Of course, I've heard (minimally) these comments about Obama, but I like to optimistically think it's a closed-minded few, not the majority. That's never been a part of why I'm not choosing to vote for him.

Yes, hopefully one day we will all come to realize that ALL of us are children of God -- even those who believe and behave differently than we believe is right.

Brown Family said...

Oh, but I do disagree w/this paragraph since Mitt Romney was pounded for his religion 100x more than I've heard about Obama:

Not since the election of John Kennedy as the first Catholic U.S. president in 1960 has the faith of a White House hopeful generated so much distortion, said about 100 "concerned scholars" and others who have signed an October 7 proclamation aimed at countering Islamophobia they say is on the rise.

The Andra Family said...

My heart is sad because it's been nearly a week since you've updated your blog.

The Andra Family said...

My heart is sad because it's been nearly a week since you've updated your blog.