As y'all know, I've been bottling the past several days :) Well, I had one bottle of apples that would.not.seal. I processed them 3 times and it wasn't working. Instead of trying a fourth time, I decided to make an apple crisp :) I tried to remember what my mom did to make fruit crisps, so I made up a crisp topping from what I think I remember.
I used a quart of bottled apples (processed w/ 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon) and put it in a small glass pan (think 6x9 ish). For the topping, I cubed up 1/2 stick of cold butter and mixed it by hand with 1/2 cup packed brown sugar, 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour, and 1/2 cup old fashioned oats. I added a pinch of salt and mixed until crumbly. I crumbled topping over top the apples, sprinkled with cinnamon and baked at 375 for 30 minutes (or until bubbly and brownish). So stinkin' good!!!!!! Only difference for next time - I'd drain my apples a little more and I'd have some vanilla ice cream to top it with. Yummmmmm!
Pictures you ask? Of course!!You know, the Pioneer Woman really is right . . . it's so fun to serve food on china!! Our wedding plates (the "good" plates) are away until we move into our own house. Yes, I am anal like that. Thanks for asking ;)
Josh is gone all weekend for drill and I'm still voiceless lol. I sound like a deranged version of Lauren Conrad (you know, the gal from The Hills?) Hopefully I get my voice back soon because my kids are completely ignoring me. Definitely a bummer!
Have a great evening!!
Thursday, October 2, 2008
Apple Crisp
Posted by Ghan Family at 3:40 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I gain weight just reading your blog. I LOVE sweets!! Thanks for sharing all your yummy recipes. You'll have to let me know which really is easier to bottle -- apples or pears? :)
I'm glad you enjoy the recipes!! I love cooking and baking.
As for pears or apples being easier . . . they're the exact same if you're bottling slices. Making applesauce is definitely a different (but not really harder) process. Other than being time consuming, I don't think it was difficult to bottle either. Just do it :D You know ya wanna ;)
Yumm-o. Seriously. I need to come viist, stat! I didn't realize you had lost your voice!? *hugs* Feel better asap.
WAIT!!! Where's the picture of Jacob pretending to take a bite...I scrolled down and was a little bummed it wasn't there! That looks delicious and I so want to live by you so I can taste test your creations!
I love Apple Crisp. Looks like maybe you'll be breaking into some of your other bottles??????
Post a Comment