Monday, June 30, 2008

Passionate about my right to CHOOSE!!

Most of you know I believe in home birthing/women's right to choose *where* to birth. I personally feel each woman has the right to choose where to give birth, whether she has birth assisted at home with a midwife or in a hospital with a practicing OB or unassisted at home. I believe that what choice works for our family may totally NOT work for another family. And what may work for one birth, may not work for another. I think it comes down to a parent being responsible and researching the best options for their family.

I am truly grateful for OUR midwife (Chris Miller) and for the birthing experience she afforded our family . . . I can't wait until we can have the opportunity to work with her again. She's amazing!!

All of this to say . . . the ACOG is trying to regulate birth (scroll down for official statement). And I don't think that's cool at all. AT ALL. Frankly, it pisses me off. I really like this response from a fellow member.

Utah has recently made some laws in regards to midwifery and home birthing. I need to find the links, but it was a silly compromise IMO.

I'll be back later with pictures of my children, but I've been meaning to post on this subject for a while.

5 comments:

The Andra Family said...

That's pretty unbelievable! Do you really think it will get anywhere though?

Melissa said...

That's something I've never thought about. I'm all about drugs to make laber quicker and pain free. I have horrible experiences with delivery adn almost losing a baby, so my choice is the hospital. BUT I read the article and it was really good! Mothers are so in tune to their bodies and their babies that they SHOULD have the choice! Thanks for this bit of info! It'd be great if you could keep us all updated!

Ghan Family said...

Totally my point Melissa :) If you want a drug laden birth in a hospital with lots of attendants, etc, that should be your right 110%. But if I want a home birth with my midwife drug free and no one bugging me, that should also be my right. There are positives and negatives to both situations and it is up to an individual/family to decide what is best for each situation. I think it is wrong on so many freaking levels to police this. Can we say lining our pockets?!

And Cole, it *has* gotten somewhere in Utah :( A doctor or a certified nurse midwife cannot attend a home birth. Only lay midwives can. The law was in attempt to outlaw home births completely, but thank GOODNESS there were enough intelligent people who fought against that going into affect. So a silly compromise was reached that leaves both sides upset. The law will be revisited in 2 years (I think). Hopefully it can be overturned completely at that point.

There are some states where midwifery/home birthing *is* illegal. That does not stop it. A mother would not get in trouble by choosing to birth at home, but a midwife could by attending a birth. It is such a frustrating situation :(

Another thing that really frustrates me is so many of the hospital "emergencies" could be prevented if laboring women were not treated in "routine" ways if that makes sense. One of the beauties of midwifery is innately trusting a women's body. It is empowering - truly amazing.

I'm glad you guys enjoyed this - I will definitely keep my blog updated :)

Miller said...

I didn't know that was going on. You should have a right to choose!!
It's good to see the move went well, I'm not looking forward to our move or should I say the dirve but it will be nice to get there and get things going. Keep up the blog it is so cute!!

april said...

I found your blog through DS. Thank you for the PSA about water heaters! I's so sorry that your family had/has to go through that.

I birthed in a state w/ great HB/MW laws but am very concerned about future births in more restrictive states. We are in the USAF and don't have a lot of choices about where we move, but we try to avoid certain states. I'm also very concerned about my daughter's future right to birth where she chooses. Thank you for addressing this important issue in your blog.