Sunday, June 8, 2008

Yummmmmmy Granola Bar recipe

So, we've been trying to do things way more homemade around here . . . bread, beans, and today granola bars!! I got this rocking recipe from one of my online friends Suzanne. It is SO yummy!!! It made 18 bars - they are definitely way more filling than a Quaker type bar (which is what I would consider it to be closest to) and my kids really like them. I individually wrapped them up in Saran wrap hoping to get a couple of breakfasts/snacks out of them. They're definitely not low cal or low fat (or at least I don't believe they are), but I do think they have a decent amount of fiber, folic acid, and healthy carbs (i.e. whole grain). So without further ado:

Suzanne's Granola Bars

Preheat oven to 350 and lightly grease 9x13 pan

Mix the following together:

2 cups uncooked oatmeal (you can use instant)
1 C. whole wheat flour
3/4 C. B. Sugar
3/4 C. Raisins (we omitted these b/c I *hate* raisins)
1/2 C. wheat germ (make sure to buy this in bulk at the healh food store, a lot cheaper)
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
1 C. chocolate chips
1 C. nuts (we used slivered almonds - yum!)

Then add and blend well:

1/2 C. veg. oil
1/2 C. honey
2 tsp. vanilla
1 egg

Press into pan and bake 25-30 minutes until golden brown.

Suzanne let me know you can mix and match the raisins, nuts, and chocolate chips. She has used figs, cranberries, white chocolate and peanut butter chips, and peanuts with success. So they are totally changeable yummy treats!! Took me all of 5 minutes from start to finish prep wise. Not a bad thing!!

1 comments:

The Andra Family said...

Thanks. I will definitely try.