We attended another outpatient appointment yesterday for Gabe. I am so glad to report all is well. He is healing well . . . they changed his dressings so now he has a ton less on his legs. I'm not even putting any dressings on his donor sites - just A&D ointment (yup same stuff as the old school diaper ointment!!) at every diaper change. Half of his donor is healed (the part that was able to stay covered up on his thighs) and the other half is still pretty open, but looking better than last week (per the NP). His graft looks great . . . at this point is is totally adhered to his leg, so no worries of regrafting there *yay*!!! There are a few parts of the graft that are still open - for whatever reason they are just healing slower. On those few parts, I am putting some A&D and adaptek (vaseline impregnated gauze). His whole graft gets wrapped with curlix and then an Ace bandage. I took some pictures of the process of changing his dressings. He enjoyed his first bath in weeks today!! Anyone that knows me knows how much better I feel that he is able to bathe!!
Left leg:
Right leg:
After adaptek, lotion, and A&D is on:
This is his right leg after I put curlix on:
Same leg, now w/ the Ace over top:
Both legs wrapped, you can kinda see the donor site here . . . the only good pic of the donor site I got, you could see his bum and his front too much . . .
Just because he's cute:
A realllly generous WAHM (work at home mom) - Melissa of Panda Tushies - practically gave us these super soft bamboo prefolds to go over Gabe's burns. I don't know what we'd do without these . . . these are the ONLY thing I can put on him that is comfortable - anything with any kind of elastic (cloth or disposables) irritate his donor site in a BIG way. I just wanted to thank her AGAIN for everything she's done (the prefolds and the super sweet auction she hosted in Gabe's honor).
All ready to go for the day and SO CUTE!!!
Hope everyone has a great day - we don't have to go back to SLC for 2 weeks . . . he looks that good :D When we go back, he will be put in his pressure garments and that new road begins. We appreciate everyone's support more than anything - THANK YOU!!!
Almost forgot . . . Gabe had his 9 month well visit yesterday. His ped wasn't able to do much because he was all bandaged up, but he's gained 3/4 of a pound . . . what a miracle considering he'd lost a good 4 pounds from first ER admission to surgery and then who knows how much after that?! He's an amazing trooper!!! We seem to definitely get better every day now . . . and what a relief that is!!!!
Wednesday, March 12, 2008
Another Gabe update :)
Posted by Ghan Family at 11:42 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Oh goodness! He sure is a little trooper! It looks like he is healing quite well too ~ yea!
That is wonderful that he has gained 3/4 pound ~ wow! BTW your little Gabe is just about 1/2 month older than my MacAllistair (aka Bird) :o)
I am so glad that everything is getting better for you!! I am paranoid when my kids bath!! Do you care if I link you so that all of my friends can see how SERIOUS this is?? If you don't that is fine! Good luck and I hope things keep looking up!
That's fine Kristen :) I don't think parents know how serious hot water is and I've been trying my hardest to tell people. SO sure - spread the word :)
His donor site still looks so sore! Doesn't it feel so good to have a clean baby/child? (As per your comment on his bath?) I am grateful for your friend that donated the pre-folds, held the auction, etc.. Sounds like you've got some great friends other then me. Hahahaha. j/k
I am so glad that he is doing better, his legs are going quite well. Keep up the good work!! Your kids are lucky to have you as a mom. Keep in touch :)
Post a Comment