So today, the doctors and nurses did Gabe's first dressing change. They removed the 5 million layers between the air and his grafts . . . and my baby looks like Frankenstein. He has staples every 1/4-1/3 of an inch all around the graft site. The in between parts are sewn. It's black and blue . . . several times I thought I would vomit. He was given ketamine (street drug name "Special K") - this put him under "conscious sedation" as in he was awake but unable to remember anything and in little pain. There were several places blood pooled and Dr. Morris had to use a scalpel to puncture those areas so the graft would lay flat again. I took some pictures, but won't be able to upload them until I get home.
Wednesday will bring another dressing change and then Friday the doctors plan on removing the staples (I guess the stitches will remain on the graft until they disintegrate?). We will be good to go home when Gabe has good pain control (as in we find the correct pain medicine, dosage, etc) and he's eating and sleeping well. He's still on the feeding tube as he has absolutely NO interest in nursing and this weekend he was pretty much sedated, so we're not sure what he's going to do sleep wise.
He's such a trooper and everyone comments on his good looks and black eyes ;) I'm so grateful we've made it through to the other side of the graft. I just can't wait until it's all over!!!! Hope everyone has a great day!
Monday, February 25, 2008
My son, the mini Frankenstein
Posted by Ghan Family at 10:02 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
poor little guy! Thanks for the update!`
My nephew had a similar bad scalding accident when he was about 12 years old. The dressing changes were definitely the worst part; my heart goes out to Gabe and also to you. Hang in there -- sending prayers for speedy and uncomplicated healing, so you can all put this ordeal behind you as soon as possible.
I keep looking for your updates Shah'ada. Hugs to Gabe and your family!
Post a Comment