YAY!! Josh and I built a mini clothesline in our back yard today . . . it's quite the rig, and I won't be posting pictures of it because it is a little ghetto-fab. But I'm pleased . . . I've never line dried clothes before!! Just another way for us to cut back on wasted energy :)
In regards to clothes and laundry, I wanted to share my homemade laundry soap recipe :) It's been working super well for us and it comes out to a little less than ten cents a load (compare that to upwards of 30 cents a load for store bought soap - that's quite the deal ;) ). I use a powder recipe b/c I find it easier to prepare, but there are tons of liquid recipes available as well (they make 2 gallons at a time approximately and come out to less than 1 cent per load of laundry!!). My recipe is as follows:
-1 bar Fels Naptha soap (grated) . . . can be found in laundry aisle - click on name to see what packaging looks like ;)
- 1 cup borax
- 1 cup washing soda (made by arm and hammer - NOT baking soda, WASHING soda . . . also found in laundry aisle)
- 1/2 cup sun oxygen cleaner (totally optional) - this is the cheaper version of Oxy Clean
- mix all ingredients together and store. Use 1 tbsp per large load. Totally safe for front loading washers b/c it is a low to no suds formula (totally don't worry about the lack of suds . . . it's not the suds that clean your laundry anyways). It works really well - takes stains out, leaves clothes lightly scented, and is a gentle, but effective cleaner.
I did just order some cloth diaper detergent from Crunchy Clean - Etsy mama - (she also has a Green formula for regular laundry if you didn't want to make your own) . . . I can't wait until it gets here and I can try it! I'm sick of dumping Tide in my machine . . . it's about as un-eco friendly as they come *blush*.
Hope everyone is enjoying their memorial day weekend - gas prices shot up 12 cents since last night! It's craziness really!! We do get to see some old friends from Saint George tomorrow afternoon and I feel bad they're making the drive (from SLC to here) . . . but so glad they are!! I'll be sure to take some pictures and get them up on Monday. Have a restful Sunday *hugs*
Saturday, May 24, 2008
We made a clothesline!!
Posted by Ghan Family at 8:50 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I have been wanting to make my own detergent, so thanks for making it easier for me by giving me a recipe and telling me where to find it. So nice to get another post from you so soon! Miss and love ya!
No worries - it works great - SO glad to have found a decent recipe!!
I always loved drying my clothes outside! BUT, I was always able to forget about them when the sprinklers would turn on!
When we moved into our house 2 years ago, we had a clothesline in the backyard, and it was one of the first things we removed....Ah, how things have changed in that two years. I would kill for that clothesline now!
thanks for the recipe, I will be making my own detergent, and you inspired me to look into no 'pooing" my hair...does it stink with vinegar though?
Just happened along your blog as I was killing time tonight. Have friends from Logan, so that sparked my interest....and then I got wrapped up in the story of Gabe. What an amazing and terrifing journey, but you seem to have a great faith. Praise God for blessings beyond measure, and healing for your family.
Post a Comment