Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Happy *belated* Earth Day . . . I've gone no 'poo :)

So yesterday was Earth Day. How many of you rolled your eyes or didn't even realize it was Earth Day (or wouldn't have if it wasn't for your kids watching Playhouse Disney)? I was like this several years ago . . . or even 2 years ago. But lots have changed since I homebirthed with Gabe - I really had such an amazing and eye opening experience.

The Lord has commanded us to be stewards over this Earth . . . did God not command Adam to till and take care of the Earth? I really believe we have stewardship over it and I want to be able to be proudly accountable of how *I've* taken care of it. That may sound silly, but the more I've thought about it, the more important it has become to me. I just want to share some things we have done in our family to hopefully reduce the impact we have on the environment. These are choices our family has made that work for us - I write only to share, maybe open your eyes a little, but not to belittle or guilt trip (although I know I have the tendency to do that in my write accidentally *blush*)

  • We cloth diaper (among ALL the reasons I don't want disposable diaper chemicals against my children's developing bodies, literally billions of tons of disposables are dumped in landfills each year . . . and those of you who use disposables, did you know it is illegal to throw poop in the garbage? It must be dumped in the potty and flushed - read your disposable diaper wrappers ;) But really - plastic wrapped poop takes over 500 years to decompose - what a present we are leaving our great(x30) grandchildren!)
  • We breastfeed (great article!)
  • We use "un" paper towels for everything (we have no paper towels/paper napkins in the house - everything is cloth and reused and washed)
  • We use family cloth and cloth wipes (no toilet paper/disposable wipes either . . . we use 8x8 double layered squares of various organic materials for potty purposes lol). Going along with this, we let the "yellow mellow" ;)
  • We shop organic when possible . . . even more importantly we shop local when possible. As a family, we have tried to cut down on our Walmart trips (even though Josh *still* works part time) and shop at our local Farmer's Market, small grocery stores, and non chain restaurants
  • We use energy saving light bulbs
  • We are a one car family (started out of necessity, but has changed into being fine with it - we're lucky Josh works close to home)
  • We never use paper plates/cups/plastic utensils
  • We keep heat low and AC high (68 for heater, 78 for AC)
  • We have been slowly buying reusable grocery bags
  • We have drastically cut down on toxic cleaning supplies - we've been using baking soda/vinegar/Dr Bronners to clean
  • Big one for me - I have tried to just BUY LESS!! This is huge when you think of all the waste/energy/etc that goes into producing the crap we love to buy. This has been a very conscious effort on my part and slowly I'm overcoming a mindset I have always had
  • Kids always bathe with Josh or I to save water
  • Last one for right now . . . I've gone no 'poo :D This means I'm no longer using shampoo for my hair, just baking soda and apple cider vinegar. Aside from being evironmentally friendly, my hair actually FEELS better and LOOKS better!! O and another side benefit? It's SO MUCH CHEAPER! If anyone is interested in the HOW's of no 'poo'ing, this is a GREAT website.
I hope everyone enjoyed (hmmm, yea right, but I tried lol) my list. Hope everyone had a great Earth Day!

4 comments:

Melissa said...

very interesting. It's fun to learn new things about friends. No matter when we choose to do everyone can be grateful for the beauties of the earth...the beautiful flowers, the mountains, etc. Thanks for sharing!

McKay Missy and Boys said...

How are you guys doing? It's so intriguing to read or see what different families do to save energy or what they feel is important. Thanks for sharing!

The Andra Family said...

ok, i'm just going to say, what no one dared, but were really thinking......You're so weird. J/K That's awesome and more power to you. You haven't always lived like this have ya?

Ghan Family said...

I so thought that after I posted lol. That's okay :) No, not always this crunchy, but have been this way for a while ;)